FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Belle of the Blog: Chewing Gum Nation

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Chewing Gum Nation


Too many chewing gums to choose from and too little time. Wrigley's has nearly 40 choices of chewing gum. Can you believe that?? And that is just one company! I'm almost paralyzed with indecision whenever I try to choose a pack of gum at the local CVS!

I never considered myself a follower or particularly susceptible to consumer marketing. But my new gum "habit" has me rethinking that. I never used to be a gum chewer. It started innocently enough. First it was just a piece of gum every now and then when a friend offered me one. Then I would buy a pack whenever I was in the checkout line at the supermarket. Now I have gum everywhere--in my office desk, my purse, my gymbag, the glove compartment of my car....

There has been a virtual explosion of chewing gum flavors. I think it has to do with the fact that the U.S. has become a country obsessed with white teeth and fresh breathe. Also with smoking banned in so many public places and companies even refusing to hire smokers, more and more people are choosing to pop a piece of gum in their mouth rather than light up.

We are becoming a gum-chewing nation.

...now I'm craving a piece of gum. Excuse me while I enjoy a mouthful of Dentyne Ice Arctic Chill...

photo by angstidentprone

4 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a gum chewer since childhood. (And a chronic gum swallower.) However, I can never bring myself to chew any of the sugar-free gums that have exploded onto the market. I'm just too wary of artificial sweeteners. I'm very fond of Big Red, but I still have a soft spot for Big League Chew and Bubble Tape.

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big League Chew!! That shredded bubble gum? I forgot all about that stuff!

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Dentyne Ice Arctic Chill!

I'm a gum-slut too.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Gum-slut! I love that!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home