Would You Mind Watching My Stuff for a Minute?

In the Sunday Times Magazine, there is a great column by Randy Cohen called the Ethicist. Do you read it? Basically, readers write into Cohen and pose an ethical question. He answers. Oftentimes, the questions are really something to chew on. The answers could go either way. But here is a question from today:
A woman sitting near me in a local coffee shop asked me to watch her things for a few minutes while she went across the street to her home. She said she wouldn't leave anything valuable. She was gone for over an hour, returning as I was about to ask someone else nearby to take over the surveillance and then leave myself. Would I have been wrong to do so? Melinda Campopiano, PittsburghWe've all been asked to "watch someone's stuff for a minute," and we've all asked people to do that, right? So that we can go up to the counter to buy a cup of coffee...or run out to our car because we forgot something? But for over an hour??! Of course, Cohen told Melinda that she was absolutely under no obligation to continue to babysit the woman's stuff.
I think of myself as a considerate person. But, if it were me, I would just bring the stuff up to the counter and tell the person behind the counter that I had to leave. When the woman comes back, isn't that the first place she would go if she didn't see you?
The fact that Melinda was even worried about this woman's stuff just goes to prove one thing, though...
Pittsburghers are way nicer than us.
photo by karlcow

4 Comments:
ahhh yes. true. But you are either a gentleman immune to the charms of a beautiful woman--or a woman who knows the value of chocolate.
I don't think we are that much nicer, really. Pittsburgh just operates on a unique metaphysical plane. People here are not seperated by the usual 6 degrees. It's more like 4 degrees. I've seen that woman before although it was years ago. I'm sure I'll see her again someday maybe at the coffee shop in our retirement home. To tell the truth I was there with the intention of sitting and reading the paper for a while so she didn't really inconvenience me much. She could have looked a little contrite at least.
Hey, Melinda!
Thanks for weighing in! Yes, I can understand what you mean about Pittsburgh. But still...hours? Yes, contrition would have been nice.
If you check back...Happy Holidays!!
test
Post a Comment
<< Home