If You Could Bring Three Things With You....

Have you ever been asked the ever-popular icebreaker question:
If you were going to be stranded on a desert island, what three things would you bring?I've had to answer that question at various points in my life. Orientation Day at grad school eons ago....a corporate retreat....a few other times...
I never know what to write. It's one of those catch-all questions that is supposed to say something about you. So there is a ton of pressure to come up with something profound. I don't even remember what my answers where...
I think if I were being truthful this time around, I would say:
1. A great book. One of those really long ones that I could savor over and over.
2. Pictures of my family
3. Sunblock
In today's USA TODAY Jennifer Anniston's list included:
1. The dog (her corgi-terrier mix Norman)
2. A good book
3. A pack of cigarettes
A pack of cigarettes? At least she was honest. Smokers seem to fall into two categories: Those who loathe that they smoke and wish they could quit, and those who love love love it.
I never took up smoking because I was afraid that once I was hooked, I would never be able to quit. And thank goodness. I'm not going to go on and on here about all the reasons that smoking will kill you (and turn your teeth yellow and wrinkle your skin). And I feel for the folks who really want to quit smoking. It is such a hard thing to do. I truly feel for people when they say that they hate the way it smells, they hate that they are hooked, but they just can't seem to kick the habit. I feel for smokers who have been exiled to "smoking areas," huddled outside in the bitter cold of winter gathered around in packs with their coats wrapped tightly and the fog of their breath in the air mingling with the smoke. They look miserable.
While I feel for the smokers who wish they could quit, I am utterly fascinated by the people who revel in their habit. I respect the fact that they are unapologetic about it. I met a guy at a party a few months ago. He explained to me how smoking just makes other activities better. He loves to write and smoke, drink and smoke, think and smoke. When he sits down to relax, it is that much sweeter if he has a cigarette in his hand. I don't get it. But it was clear from the way that he described it, that for him, it is 100% true. Inhaling tar makes the moment complete. And I don't mean that as some snarky dig. I know it isn't about the tar really, but some mixture of cultural mystic--a hint of James Dean, perhaps, or Jack Kerouac...I think I get it...in an abstract kind of way. I used to work with actors, and they would often adopt some physical habit in order to "inhabit" a particular character. By sitting a certain way or wearing a certain type of clothing, they were able to inhabit a certain head space. Maybe smoking is that way for some people.
I bet Jennifer Anniston will catch some flack for the fact that cigarettes made her "top 3" list.
What about you? What would you take with you if you were going to be stranded on a desert island?
photo by Sven

2 Comments:
1. Lord of the Rings complete edition
2. Cigarettes
3. Cigarette lighter.
Have a great day, Jo. RLB.
Cigarettes? Oh, say it ain't so! I still like you anyway, Richard. :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home