FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Belle of the Blog: Two Ships Pass in the Night at Panera Bread

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Two Ships Pass in the Night at Panera Bread


Craig's List is a cool site. Most of my friends who have rented an apartment in NYC or in San Fransisco found the listing on Craig's List. My cousin bought her vintage VW off of Craig's List, and I even know a woman who found her boyfriend there. It is brand new in Western Mass, so it isn't as fun to read as the larger metro versions of the site, but I still like to scan a section called "Missed Connections."

"Missed Connections" is an online version of that section in the newspaper classifieds where people write messages to that special someone who they made eye contact with, but missed the opportunity to say hello to. I find it both romantic and sad (since chances are that the object of their affection will probably never read the item). A generic example goes something like this: "The N/R train on Sunday around 10:30 AM. You in a blue shirt and ponytail reading Incredible Lightness of Being. Me, sitting across from you. I smiled and you smiled back, but you got off at Jay Street before I worked up the courage to talk to you..."

Today, I saw this ad on Craig's List:

Marist Rugby chic at Panera - w4w - 23
Reply to: mailto:pers-110957349@craigslist.org?subject=Marist%20Rugby%20chic
%20at%20Panera%20%2d%20w4w%20%2d%2023%20
Date:2005-11-13, 3:16PM EST

Dear Marist Rugby chic, I saw you smiling at me, or were you blushing? Not sure. Is that why you sat so close to me? Anyway, I thought you were cute which is why I smiled at you. The rugby shirt didn't hurt. You looked adorable in it. I liked the hair too. nice. Anyway, I get nervous around people who look like you which is why I didn't approach you. What's your excuse? You're friends were there for moral support. You should have gotten up and said hi. too bad...if you're ever in amherst again, look me up.

Here is the thing about this ad. I was at the Panera Bread when this was happening! There was a rugby match in town, and both the Marist team and the Army team ate at Panera and sat in the same section as me. I wish I was paying attention. It was right under my nose the whole time!

So Marist Rugby Chic, if you are reading (which I know you aren't) give this poor guy a shout out. I've included a convenient link for you above.

2 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you know it was a guy who wrote the entry?

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Great catch!

It wasn't a guy, it was actually a woman. I noticed the mistake, but it was so long after the fact that I didn't bother correcting it.

So, my apologies to the woman pining for Marist Rugby Chic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home