What in the world does she see in HIM?

OK. I'll admit it....I watched the finale of Martha Stewart's Apprentice last night. I had no real interest in learning who actually won out of the two remaining candidates, but I wanted to see what Martha would say during the finale. Since the show taped, Martha hasn't had very many nice things to say about the shows candidates. In the Dec 8th edition of BusinessWeek, Martha said some, shall we say, not so nice things about the show and its contestants. Here are a few choice choice excerpts:
Martha on her decision to be a part of the show:
"It's unusual for me to take a job like The Apprentice, and it was just a job. I got paid a fee. I have no participation in the show. Generally, we're the originators. But I did it because I knew it would be a jump-start, and it would get attention."Martha on the quality of remaining candidates:
"Yeah, we're getting close to which of those inappropriate contestants we are actually going to have to hire. I can't believe people behave like that. They're exhibitionists and opportunists, those kids. I did not choose them either, by the way. I just want you to know I had nothing to do really with the choice of the contestants. That's part of reality television."Ouch.
So the finale took place on the set of her daily show. Most of it was pretty boring, but one thing was very interesting to me. The 2nd runner up (who was kicked off the show right before the final) was this guy named Jim. Jim was this graphic designer who came on Martha Stewarts Apprentice thinking he was on Survivor or something. He had "strategies" to pit contestants against one another. He had "strategies" to get people to like him, so that he could stab them in the back. he had "strategies" to be zany and unpredictable so that other contestants would waste energy thinking about him while he plotted his victory. He came across as somewhat evil on the show.
Last night Martha remarked that she thought that Jim must be faking. That it all must be an act. Why? Because Martha met Jim's beautiful wife and daughters, and in Martha's estimation, there was NO way that such a wonderful woman would ever marry Jim if he was really the kind of person he appeared to be on the show.

And that got me thinking...
Have you ever met a friend's boyfriend or girlfriend or spouse and wonder something like "What does she see in him?" Come on. I know you have. Or maybe you've just thought, "Wow. What an unlikely pair."
Both of these thoughts have crossed my mind before. And I have come to the following conclusion: The two people in that relationship must bring out something wonderful in one another...especially when they are alone together. There must be something that we don't know about that it makes everything fall into place.
Which brings me back to Jim, the wanna-be apprentice. He was a crazy caniving schemer on the show, but at home I bet he is a totally different guy.
Either that, or his wife needs therapy.

3 Comments:
For some reason, Jo, your antepenultimate paragraph in your post today reminded me of the song "MEESKITE" from "Cabaret." Don't know quite why. (Plus, it gave me the chance to use a really big word that I hardly ever see anymore). MC/HH/HNY.
isn't this show a flop? I wonder if the are still gonna have a second season.
Oooh, Richard I love Cabaret. But I can't remember which song you are talking about. I think I'll have to visit itunes to remind myself.
Tina, yes the show was not very successful. It will not be back for a second season. Martha talks like she only agreed to one season, and there was never an intention of the doing more than one. I don't believe that.
Post a Comment
<< Home