FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Belle of the Blog: Rocky Wins the 'Olden Gloves

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Rocky Wins the 'Olden Gloves


Could I really be ahead of the curve? Remember my Rocky 6 celebration a week ago?

Yesterday, the Associated Press reported on the Rocky 6 sequel. Turns out that instead of "Yo, Adrian." It's "NO Adrian." In the new sequel scheduled to begin filming this winter, Rocky will be a 60 year-old widower who takes on the current heavyweight champion in the ring.

According to a story in today's Daily News, Stallone said:
"I am drawing on a lot of my feelings that are in synch with many people's feelings about facing the last chapter of their lives and how they want it to be written. Rocky goes through the skepticism of trying to go against the tide, to go against common sense."
Yeah.

Well, the character of Rocky Balboa was never the sharpest pencil in the box. It's actually something that I liked about him when I saw my one and only Rocky movie (the original). I thought it was great that even a dumb guy can live his dream. But this new plot is kind of bizarre, don't you think? Rocky deals with the "skepticism of trying to go against the tide?" I guess that "going against the tide" is one way to put at it....

The thing I really take exception with in this quote, however, is the idea that a person who is 60 is in the "last chapter of their lives." Huh?!?! I hope my father isn't reading this right now. I think he might have a few choice words for Mr. Stallone.

But that leads me to something I've been thinking about for a while now...

Did you ever notice how every morning you look in the mirror, you look the same to yourself? It's difficult to notice yourself aging, right? But, now that some television actors from classic television shows of the 60s, 70s, and 80s are back on network television, I am reminded of the passage of time. Have you seen Henry Winkler (the Fonz) on the new show, Out of Practice?



or William Shatner (Captain Kirk) on Boston Legal?



Alec Baldwin, who used to be a hottie (remember the movies Prelude to a Kiss and Beetlejuice?) is looking positively geriatric on Will & Grace.




Even Doogie Houser, MD is looking a little long in the tooth in the new show How I Met Your Mother.





Time Marches on.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home